Our Chinese Butterflies

Our Chinese Butterflies

Fristoe family

Fristoe family
Our family waiting on Prudence and ?????!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fall Harvest and Garage/Bake Sale

The last five days have been so busy!!  My son came up with this idea 3 years ago to have a Fall Harvest Concert.  With his dad's help, they organized this event and then decided to add food to it, thus I was now involved.  Thursday we went to Sam's and purchased all the supplies and took them to the church.  We then went home and went through our check list and made sure everything was in the right place.  They have actually been planning this event since the end of last years concert.  Friday we were loading equipment and stuff to take to the church, this was about the eighth trip this week with supplies. 

Now, mix into this preparing for a garage/bake sale.  In between all the needs of the concert I was loading garage sale stuff into the trailer and taking it to the church too.  The only reason I did the garage sale the same weekend is because it was the big Oak Grove city wide garage sale and there are always a ton of people out shopping.  Friday along with everything else, I managed to make 6 batches of brownies, my daughter Abby made 9 dozen chocolate chip cookies, my mom made 9 dozen lemon cookies and 3 dozen spice apple cookies. 

We were finally about ready to leave when we realized it had started raining.  We ran to the trailer and covered up the sound equipment, just before it started raining really hard!!!  That lasted about 45 minutes.  My husband got off of work early, which was a miracle.  He took the first load to the church, while I stayed home and finished cooking and packing for our over night camp out.  Abby and I finally made it to the church and started unloading stuff.  We believe that God would keep the rain away, so we could get everything organized.  We finally headed to bed about midnight.  (I just remembered that at 10 am., Aaron started to really complain and cry about his ears being broken, so I had to make a trip to the pediatrician.  We found out that his ears, again, were full of fluid, but not infected yet.  But, I have a wonderful pediatrician and he went ahead and gave us a prescription and told me to fill it whenever he started having a temperature.  In and out by noon.)

Aaron kept waking up cold, Hannah was up and down and just was not a happy baby.  So, I finally gave Aaron my covers, Hannah to her daddy and got up.  It is now 3:09 am.  Off I went to finish setting up the garage sale.   What seemed like forever, and the sun came up.  I was cold, tired and sick of this garage sale.  I found myself a picture of the reason for this sale and I was more motivated.  People started showing up and started buying things.  I was so excited!!  about 1:15 pm Aaron came up to me and said he needed to go to the doctors, again, because his ears were broken.  I didn't have a thermometer with me, but he was hot and had rosy cheeks.  Off to the pharmacy I went and got his prescription filled.  As I pulled into Walgreens, I realized how dark it had gotten.  Then as I walked in, I felt the first drop.  I hurried and dropped off the prescription and went back to the sale.  It rained for about 10 minutes, ever so softly and stopped.  A couple of hours later I went back and started him on his antibiotic.  It would rain 3 more times, very softly, before the sale ended.

It was finally 3pm and I remembered I forgot to defrost the BBQ pulled pork, so I put it in the oven and prayed it would be done in time for the big concert.  People were still shopping, but now others were wanting their dinner.  I went from garage sale manager to head cook.  The pulled pork finished in just the right amount of time and the hot dogs cooked and were ready to serve at 5 pm.  I was a little late, they were suppose to be ready at 4:30, but I was happy everything was ready at 5pm.  The concert went well and everyone seemed to have a good time.   My son, Daniel's, band made their debut performance and they did a pretty good job.  Sure made this momma proud!! 

Here are some pictures of our day:

Hannah, just about done for the day!!  Even before the first act finished.

Aaron in the bounce house.  I wasn't sure I would ever get him out.

The rain was pouring down!!!!  But we weren't going to let it stop us.

Daniel playing base guitar.

Final act of the night!!

Remember the pouring rain I mentioned above??  Well, many of the guest started picking up my garage sale tables and taking them into the church.   I wish I had a picture of what it looked like inside, you could barely move.  The next day, I spent about 6 1/2 hours driing out the clothes and all the other wet items.  On Monday I took 15 bags of baby clothes to the laundry mat to dry,  they were on the last table carried in and were soaking wet!!!!  I want to thank everyone that helped us out, it could have been a lot worse!

We made about $161.00 for the Oak Grove Community Service League and about 100 cans of food!!

I am happy to say we made $373.19 at our garage/bake sale.  That is enough to make sure our dossier will get to China, as soon as we have our I797!!!  The agency is working with us, in regards to the 2 payments we now owe them and they are allowing us more time to raise the money to pay them and are still going to send our dossier.


I thank Him every day and night.  He has been with us every step of the way!!!



  1. Amazing, I bet you slept good on Saturday night!

  2. Hey, I wanted to let you know the first weekend in October is the Mumfest in Lone Jack at the big greenhouse up on the hill on 50 Hwy. We had a booth last year there for our adoption and sold pies and coffee and made $1000. You should call or go by there and see about setting up a booth if you make anything crafty. Its alot of fun, 2 days and I bet it would help you guys out. We just mailed in our dossier and we will have the booth again this year. Lots of people come. We are in pleasant hill so it might be a little closer to us than you but it might be worth a shot. Its called Greeson's Greenhouse. The owner is a good friend of ours named Chuck.